It is scorching Summer where I live. All we crave the whole day is juices and drinks. I used to make a lot of milkshakes for dealing with this cravings. But lately, I have started to be aware of the too much calories I dump in the name of Summer drink. And so I started looking for citrus fruits options like lemon and oranges.
And so this Summer is all about lemons and oranges for us. Apart from the simple lemonade and the lime juice with salt (which is quite popular in my area, how about yours?), this ORANGE LEMONADE is the new addition in my household drinks menu.
I must say we are having this daily. Yes, everyday. It is so simple and refreshing. Give it a try and let me know how it is for you.Recipe Card
- Oranges, Big - 2
- Lemon -1
- Sugar- Half cup
- Water- Half cup + 2- 3 cups
- Basil Seeds- optional
- First prepare the sugar syrup. Place half cup sugar and half cup water in a sauce pan and let boil.
- After it boil, let it simmer for few minutes. The syrup should feel lightly sticky when rubbed between two fingertips.Let it cool and refrigerate till use.
- Now squeeze out the juice from two oranges and a lemon and refrigerate till assembly.
- Now when you are to prepare the drink, add the orange and lemon juice and the cold sugar syrup and two to three cups (refer notes) of ice cold water in a pitcher and mix well.
- Adjust the sugar by adding sugar if needed.
- Serve as such or with soaked and puffed up basil seeds.
- You would definitely need to add two cups ice cold water but after that,add water according to the sugar preference and the orange juice amount. I usually end up adding 2.5 cups of water.
- Make sure that all the juices and syrup and water are cold as it tastes better when served cold.
- You can totally omit basil seeds and this drink is a winner as it is.